 Robotics / 4764
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 18:17:36 GMT

Laurentino Martins wrote:

Now I believe there is too big gap between NQC and LegOS,

That is exactly the point that I was trying to make.

and maybe there should be made some effort for creating a reliable LegOS setup for Windows based PCs. I'm thinking in a InstallShield type of setup that setups everything with a few clicks, installs some IDE editor (and F1 key help) and is ready to start compiling after that.

Again, though, such a system would bear the incredible weight of having a full-blown C/C++ cross-compiler and linking system as being part of the package.

Making legos web-based is not a horrible solution, but produces other problems for things such as separately compilable modules.   Further, a web solution may be lightweight on the user's end, but it isn't as convenient as having a solution on one's home computer because unless the person happens to have a permanent internet connection,
it does require dialing up one's ISP first.

LegOS is already an established platform, so instead of shorting the gap, we should build some bridges instead.

I do not believe that a "bridge" is possible.  LegOS and NQC function on two radically different premises -- the former requiring nothing beyond the hardware, the latter requiring the hardware and an acknowledgeably limited firmware.  It would seem to me that what lies exactly in the middle is something which requires the hardware (of
course) and the presence of a firmware that happens to be more robust than the one included with the Mindstorms RIS.  The two most annoying limitations of the RCX standard firmware are, IMO, the 32 variable limit per program, and the inabilty to have local variables (in the true sense of the term).  I do not believe that it is viable to
make a new firmware that is backwards compatible with the standard firmware without sharing most of its same limitations.  If I am wrong, then a bridge may prove to be quite feasible.

Mark