 Robotics / 4779
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 18:27:01 GMT

stephen p spackman <stephen@acm.org> wrote:
Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I believe that in terms of complexity, something halfway between legos
and nqc is needed.
Well, that was what I thought, and I set out to do such a thing way back
at the beginning. But the lack of enthusiasm was amazing (possibly not
for the basic concept; the alternative hypothesis is that, since I'm a
programming language designer and wanted to do things "right" there was
a lot of, "er, that's not the sort of language I'm used to." Maybe
that's really what was going on; I know I got some reactions of the form
"this is WAY too complex", when the language is, by design,
significantly simpler than current languages.). ...

You'll also find there's a lot of hostility if you want to *discuss*
what would be a good language here.

If you believe you have good ideas for a language, my opinion is that you
should propose something to the list, find people who want to work with you
on this (assuming you don't want to work alone), ignore the people who say
you know nothing or that is not the way you should do it, and get on with
it.

If I remember correctly, the last time alternate languages were discussed
on this list, nobody had information on how to write low-level RCX code,
and therefore the discussions were hypothetical, speculative, and destined
to lead nowhere until more information was available.  All the information
that was missing before has now been uncovered; if you want pointers to it
or have questions, send me e-mail.

-Kekoa