 Robotics / 4781
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 18:45:41 GMT

Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly about the variable limitation.

If someone wanted to enhance the Lego firmware to add a few new bytecodes
for additional global and local variable space, I'd consider enhancing NQC
to take advantage of them when present.  If effect, NQC could target two
different platforms - standard firmware and enhanced firmware.  Such an
undertaking may be easier than completely new firmware and/or tools.

I think new firmware is a good way to go.  I would vote for a completely
new byte code, perhaps similar in spirit to the original, but designed
fresh from the ground up.  There is no source for the current firmware,
although there is pseudocode for some of it, so rewriting the firmware from
scratch is somewhat inevitable already.

If somebody wants to propose a new byte code and machine model (preferably,
the compiler writer), I might be able to assist in the coding of new
firmware, having all the information for writing new firmware here at my
fingertips.

-Kekoa