 Robotics / 4804
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:25:23 GMT

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
Q: How large are the compiled FP emulation routines for the RCX?

Total .text section is 5832 bytes, .rodata is 4 bytes, and .bss is 8
bytes.  This is for all for all of the FP emulation routines, only those
actually used will be linked in.

This is only the helper routines, not anything from the math library.

This is good to know, I now know that any byte code interpreter that uses
floating point will have to devote on the order of (at least) 6K to
floating point if it wants to support floating point.  Considering that any
interpreter that uses the ROM display routines has exactly 28,478 bytes to
work in (not counting stack space, which increases the total number
slightly), I now have all the information I need to decide whether or not
supporting floating point in byte code is practical.  Thank you.

-Kekoa