 Robotics / 4767
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 20:45:33 GMT

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Mark Tarrabain wrote:

I do not believe that a "bridge" is possible.  LegOS and NQC function on
two radically different premises -- the former requiring nothing beyond
the hardware, the latter requiring the hardware and an acknowledgeably
limited firmware.  It would seem to me that what lies exactly in the
middle is something which requires the hardware (of course) and the
presence of a firmware that happens to be more robust than the one
included with the Mindstorms RIS.  The two most annoying limitations of
the RCX standard firmware are, IMO, the 32 variable limit per program, and
the inabilty to have local variables (in the true sense of the term).  I
do not believe that it is viable to make a new firmware that is backwards
compatible with the standard firmware without sharing most of its same
limitations.  If I am wrong, then a bridge may prove to be quite feasible.

The point is that you still need some OS running on the bare hardware.
The standard firmware isn't going to let you do what you need, and you still
need something like LegOS anyway.  Unless you want to recreate an OS from
scratch (which is a huge task, trust me), you are better off using another
OS that has the capability to do what you want and adding something else on
top of it.

From my understanding of what you want, the big problem with LegOS is having
to link your code into the OS.  You could write a generic "loader" program
as what was linked into the OS, and then download individual programs to run.
If these are native programs, then you will have to either produce position
independent code (which I am not sure is possible on the H8 and would
certainly be much less efficient) or relocate it as it is loaded.  A full
relocating linker would eat up a lot of space in the RCX, but the alternative
would be to use some interpreted language.  The interpreter would certainly
take a lot of space as well.  If you go that route, you might want to use
pBforth and compile your language into forth, since it already has the
"interpreter" builtin.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801