 Robotics / 4768
Re: Lego Network Protocol questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 23:21:06 GMT

In article <FB13Lw.2y2@lugnet.com>, kekoa@pixel.Stanford.EDU (Kekoa
Proudfoot) wrote:

Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote:
In article <FB0GKF.3s@lugnet.com>, "Mike Moran" <mm@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
- In general, I was wondering what the low-level protocol details were,
  apart from the frame/segment details that I have seen?

Transmit whenever you feel like it and hope you didn't obliterate data
coming from the other direction.  Rudimentary, but still quite effective
given the typical use pattern with is host driven command/response.  With
RCX to RCX communication you're just taking chances on missing stuff
unless you implement a specific master/slave relationship on top of the
basic messages.

Dave, did you catch the crosspost from lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos?  I think
there were details discussed there that may or may not have amounted to a
fairly specific proposal for a protocol for LegOS.  Anybody care to
summarize whatever was decided?  I'd be interested in hearing also, I
skipped a lot of the discussion.  Specifically, I would like to find out
what was decided about the underlying packet format, down to the 55ff00s of
the protocol.

Oops, I must've just caught the tail end of the conversation.  I assumed
the standard [lame] lego protocol was being discussed, not a custom
protocol.  Sorry.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com