 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 216
RE: Lego Network Protocol questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 23:22:24 GMT

Sorry, I have been out of the loop for quite some time now on the protocol.
Next time will someone smack me when I voluntarily take a compiler theory
course on top of 3 other computer sciences courses.  I had no life for over
a month.

I am currently working with a few other students and possible a professor to
possibly set up an independent study project this summer dealing with
aspects of LegOS and LNP.  As things progress and final approval is made I
will post more to the list.  There is a professor here that is really
interested in using legOS as the basic firmware in the Mindsorms and
offering a regular course on robotics using this environment.  He offered
such a class this last quarter using the standard RCX firmware and we found
it to be horribly inefficient and limited.

For my two cents on the subject of slotted vs. non-slotted protocols I will
vote for non-slotted.  I vote this solely on the basis that I think it will
have less overhead than the slotted protocol.  The biggest problem with
slotted that I see is that the RCX moves in and out of range from each other
a lot and others leaving and entering the group all the time will cause a
loss of efficiency in the protocol.  More time will be spent syncing and
rescheduling RCXs as the enter and leave the group.

I will have to go look into the Aloha protocol.  I have had a few other
people mention it to me.  This summer I will have plenty of time to work
more actively on the production of this protocol.  I would hope to have
something ready for next fall.

-Jake

Jacob S. Barrett
Student of Computer Science
Western Washington University
Email: jsbarrett@acm.org
Web: http://www.acm.wwu.edu/jbarrett
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."
Start preparing now for the Year 10000  bug...