 Robotics / 4841
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:31:36 GMT

Mark Tarrabain skrev i meddelandet <372E220C.D2F9AD52@lynx.bc.ca>...

I do think, however, that it would be more practical to create
a Forth bytecode producer for a home computer and then download
that bytecode into the rcx.  Then the rcx only needs to interpret
the bytecode rather than also having to change source code into
bytecode.

But the whole point with FORTH is that it is self-contained, and the
'compiling' part is an integrated part of the language (normally quite small),
and _used_ in programs, not only to get the programs into the computer. It's
an amazing language, but it takes (quite) a while to get used to.

The language can be extended how far you want, _inside_ the language, the
greater part of a FORTH compiler/interpreter can be (and often/mostly is)
written in FORTH.

I've seen an 8086 assembler (FORTH style) which was just a couple of screens
(one screen == 22 lines, 40 chars)!

I think FORTH is a marvelous idea, too bad the CyberMaster has it's firmware
in ROM :-((

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm