 Robotics / 4803
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:17:15 GMT

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
Well, having a bytecode for turning on a motor seems little benefit compared
to calling a library function to do it.  From the user's point of view, the
effort and the result are similar.

Sorry to step in here.  But there is no difference (as I see it) between
having a system library function that runs the motors and having a byte
code that runs the motors.  It's all a matter of encoding.  If I say:

   set_motor_speed(MOTOR1, 20);

And that compiles to:

   push 20
   push MOTOR1
   syscall set_motor_speed

... or whatever your coding scheme requires for a system library function
call, there is no difference between that and:

   set_motor_speed MOTOR1, 20  // set_motor_speed is an opcode in the byte code

... except the encoding.

Encoding is an implementation detail.  Can we talk about features?

-Kekoa