 Robotics / 4788
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 21:35:25 GMT

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

My thoughts on the JVM:

- too complicated for what we need or want

I guess that depends on who you talk to.  Personally, I want an object
oriented language with multithreading support.  I want to be able to write
generic code that can be reused in multiple applications (ie, here is a
module that follows a line, here is another that avoids obstacles, I would
like to be able to combine them with minimal wrapper code and have a bot that
follows a line but avoids obstacles it hits on the line).

JVM certainly has a number of features (particularly security) which are
not required for the RCX, but it isn't clear that you save a whole lot
cutting them out.

- no direct support for interfacing with the RCX

Neither does C or any other existing language.  Machine manipulation is
typically defined in system calls in the OS or libraries linked into the
application, and Java would be no different.  You simply define native
methods for raw hardware/OS access.

I envision the new byte code being specific to the RCX, and as simple as
possible to get the job done, which is the exact opposite of the JVM in
those regards.

As simple as possible to get which job done?  Some people would consider
the existing RCX bytecodes sufficient to get the job done, while others
may want exceptions, threads, etc.  People wanting a simpler interface can
use a subset of the environment, but people wanting a richer environment
can't fake it on a simple one.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801