 Robotics / 4887
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:33:46 GMT

Paul Speed <pspeed@augustschell.com> wrote:
Mario Ferrari wrote:
... I succeeded in writing a legOS program that performs a lot of trig
math with fixed point (four decimals). ...

So far every discussion I've seen about fixed point math
that's gone to any detail to explain the implementation has had it
a little off.  Usually, trying to impose the decimal system onto
your fixed point routines makes them both harder to code and slower
to run.

The one advantage to working with radix 10, on the RCX at least, is that
the display routines use this radix, so even if you prefer working with
some power of two radix, you might find yourself stuck converting in the
end.  Not that this is bad; I prefer to work in radix 2 for the same
reasons you mentioned.

Also, as far as explaining fixed point goes, the analogy to base 10 is
certainly easier to understand, even if it is misleading when it comes to
implementation.

It is also not clear what Mario meant by four decimals.  Maybe he meant
four fractional places?

Regarding what is needed in the byte code for fixed point: the processor
has everything you need; the byte code has bit operations but is missing
shifts; those would need to be added if you do not want to have to use
multiplies instead.  Also, 16-bit fixed point requires 32-bit temporaries;
these would have to be added too.

-Kekoa