 Robotics / 4865
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 03:35:47 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

But I back down from this now, for two reasons.  First, you do not need
floating point to implement sin(); it works just fine with fixed point.
Second, (having thought about this a bit) floating point is not that bad as
long as you don't use the routines that come with GCC and you implement
only a subset of IEEE.  Having thought about this, I think you can do much,
much better than 6K if you drop certain parts of IEEE.

But what does it benefit us? *This* is creeping featurism at its worst:
FORTRAN has it, so we should too.... In my entire professional life I've
never had an application for floating point.

And then we all switch sides for some of the features that support
structure and engineering:

These are all not necessary. Remember, these features exist to allow
LARGE programs to be written easily. The RCX is not going to run large
programs, no matter what you do. It'd be better to implement only
global variables and concentrate on a fast interpreter.

This is a possibility I had not really considered, but certainly since
"simple enough to get the job done" is a wonderful design philosophy in my
opinion, this could be a simplifying step in the right direction.  I'll
think about it more.

Ok, but I *fire* people who code like that. Do we want our children to
learn with global variables? If all we care about is getting the job
done, why are we messing around with lego? I must be missing something
here.

So why not a *simple* language, one that lacks arbitrary restrictions
about what can nest in what else, and leaves out the inexplicable cruft
like floating point (have you ever tried to write a semantics for
floating point - or a spec for a programme using it?)?

stephen