 Robotics / 4843
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 20:37:41 GMT

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Laurentino Martins wrote:

What about instead of creating a full featured firmware that will never be good enough for *everything* we want to do, we create a dynamic firmware downloader that we could specify what we would want to download?

I could say for instants that for a project I would need all the standard firmware, plus floating point support and a math module with functions like sin() cos(), etc... or even a communications module that would enable an RCX to communicate with other RCX?
Of course I would have less memory for my program(s), but on the other hand if I know that my program is not going to use certain modules I could choose simply to never download them and save memory.
A downloaded program would interact with the downloaded firmware as if it was only a block, and would never miss the non downloaded modules because it will never call functions from them.
And if the module file structure could be made available to the general public, new modules would appear with specialized tasks like (for instants) modules that can convert raw data from non standard sensors to more usable values, etc.
Better, the firmware could dynamically download modules from the PC as soon as they are needed by the programs!
I think this approach opens new possibilities and retaining the best of both worlds. This is what we need! =:-D
What do you think?

Precisely.  The JVM class loader already provides that functionality.
Say for example, you want the various math functions, you have java.math
loaded.  If you want a fancy package that interprets the raw sensor data
for you, load RCX.Sensors.MultiplexedTouchSensors (or whatever).

You could certainly implement this in any other interpreted bytecode, there
is nothing special about JVM in this regard other than it already has the
functionality.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801