 Robotics / 4847
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 20:41:21 GMT

Laurentino Martins wrote:

What about instead of creating a full featured firmware that will
never be good enough for *everything* we want to do, we create a
dynamic firmware downloader that we could specify what we would
want to download?

I could say for instants that for a project I would need all the
standard firmware, plus floating point support and a math module
with functions like sin() cos(), etc... or even a communications
module that would enable an RCX to communicate with other RCX?
Of course I would have less memory for my program(s), but on the
other hand if I know that my program is not going to use certain
modules I could choose simply to never download them and save
memory. A downloaded program would interact with the downloaded
firmware as if it was only a block, and would never miss the non
downloaded modules because it will never call functions from them.
And if the module file structure could be made available to the
general public, new modules would appear with specialized tasks
like (for instants) modules that can convert raw data from non
standard sensors to more usable values, etc.  Better, the firmware
could dynamically download modules from the PC as soon as they are
needed by the programs!

I think this approach opens new possibilities and retaining the
best of both worlds. This is what we need! =:-D

What do you think?

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound alot like
LegOS?  :)

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com)