 Robotics / 4891
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 21:08:33 GMT

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

I see what you like about having a FixedPoint type and being able to say

   a = b.Multiply(c)

This gives you the flexibility to add modules as you need them by dumping
all the work onto the compiler, which is not a bad place if you are not the
compiler writer.

If it is an object oriented language, it isn't the compiler writer it is
a library writer.

It does not work in all cases, though; you will probably have a hard time
implementing a FloatingPoint type, for example, unless the new firmware
supported these natively.

Assuming the language has the flexibility, you could certainly do the FP
emulation in the library as well.  However, you lose the ability to take
advantage of hardware support if it isn't built into the language, but it
is unlikely any future RCX replacement would have FP hardware.  Of course,
doing FP emulation in an interpreted language would certainly be slower.

There seems to be a rather large gray area surrounding which features are
needed and which features would be nice to have.  My opinion is somewhat
split on this topic - if a new byte code is designed now, I know there
is a good chance that design will not change much, severely influencing how
the byte code can and will be used later on; I also know that starting off
with an overly complicated byte code is a mistake, it will never get
finished.

I think a key feature of whatever is decided on is modularity.  Do what
has to be done in the interpreter itself, and then allow additional
packages to be loaded for additional functionality.  Ie, if you want a
fixed-point math package, load that and use it, and if you don't leave it
out and use that RAM for something else.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801