 Robotics / 4872
Re: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 09:22:38 GMT

At 05:50 05-05-1999 Wednesday , you wrote:
[...]
If you know more about floating point than me, and certainly there must be
many who fit into this category, please feel free to step in here and toss
out your ideas with regards to simplified floating point.

Here's my idea:

IMHO we don't need full floating point, we need fixed point with 3 (4?) decimal places tops!
I also think we don't need to use the IEEE standard because there is no advantage in using it (apart from the routines we can use from GCC).
I'm sure it must not be difficult to find in the Internet some floating point routines optimized for size (instead of precision) some guy already developed.
:-)

PS: I know the opposite exists, math routines with extremely high precision.

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]