 Robotics / 4813
RE: FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 00:40:55 GMT

John Tamplin wrote:

The problem is he doesn't understand how forth works (no offense intended).
Basically, all you save is the actual parser -- there is no "compiler".
A typical forth implementation (and I have no idea if this relates to pbForth
at all) translates forth code like this:

0 getvar 1 getvar exch

into a sequence of codes like:

pushint(0) call(getvar) pushint(1) call(getvar) call(exch)

I hope I'm not the "he" in this sentence - otherwise it's a pure accident
that pbFORTH works :-) You have got the basic idea here, John.  It gets
interesting when you can factor repeated code snippets into words and
then use them in a bigger application.

Personally, forth is a bit low-level for me.  One thing that might help
people use it would be a library mechanism that would keep word definitions
on the host and then download them so you don't have to keep duplicating
them.  It could be as simple as a #include mechanism.

Again, the library mechanism is as complicated as users want to make it. I've
given the basic txt file as a "script". There are lots of ways to
make a piece of code include its dependent words and  automatically
create a script. The librabry is just a database of text...

Hey, I could probably write a "make" for FORTH words...that would be trivial :-)

Seriously, the trick is to let the tool grow with the user base. If they
don't like it at all, make a new tool...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Indside of a dog, it's too dark to read...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com