 Robotics / 4808
FW: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:44:28 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Hempel [mailto:rhempel@bmts.com]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 7:07 PM
To: Mark Tarrabain
Subject: RE: Something else is needed, I think...

Mark wrote:

It is TOTALLY self contained - if you don't count NQC to get the firmware loaded in
the first place.

Then it's not self contained on TWO counts.

One, as you mentioned, you need NQC to get the firmware into the RCX, but I suppose you can
just as easily use a pre-built version of firmdl, so I won't nitpick about that.

The other way in which is it not self-contained is that it requires a form of dumb-terminal
interface to the IR port which communicates with the RCX.

I'm not saying that the pbForth project is no good.  I think it's an amazing achievement, and
quite practical because most real-world robot coding these days is actually done in Forth.  I
do think, however, that it would be more practical to create a Forth bytecode producer for a
home computer and then download that bytecode into the rcx.  Then the rcx only needs to
interpret the bytecode rather than also having to change source code into bytecode.  Further, I
don't really care for the idea using a dumb terminal to develop software (we did it that way
back when I was in University and it sucked).  I would imagine that I'm in the majority on this
viewpoint, but having never taken a poll of any sort, I suppose I could be wrong. This is just
all IMHO, of course.

The FORTH bytecode producer is an UMBILICAL forth, and then you need one for the PC, for the MAC,
for linux boxes, you get the picture. If the RCX interprets the code, then it HAS to work.

Eventually we could make a headerless FORTH image that is way smaller, but let's walk before
we run...

I guess I've focussed so much on the host platform being as simple as a dumb
terminal that I lost sight of what users actually want. Even the original RCX
and legOS software need the PC to transmit the firmware to the RCX. You don't NEED
to use a dumb terminal - it's the minimum tool for the job. If you want to write and
debug and then use a GUI - that's cool. I just packaged the minimum set to get
folks using pbFORTH - then they might know what the GUI or higher level interface should do.
Sort of a develop the tool with the user approach, not hand the user a tool that no
user has ever tested approach.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.bmts.com/~rhempel/lego/pbFORTH/default.html>