 Publishing / 462
Re: Typefaces: Verdana vs. Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 23:53:01 GMT

In lugnet.publish, rueger@io.com (Tim Rueger) writes:
[...]
Going back to the "old technology browsers" thing, I'm glad
we've agreed to disagree.  :^)

We probably agree more on the basic principles than it seems.  :)  I agree
with all the ideals -- I just don't see the ideals being fully idealized
forever, what with all the sorts of bozo stuff going on like Active-X
(glorified MS-OLE, which is glorified MS-DDE) and Super Shock Spark Tart
Flash-o-Rama Doodoo and all those other browser add-ons.  But people seem to
like them enough to keep perpetuating them.  :-p

However, here's an
interesting assertion that current browsers will live until
about 2003, so content should be designed with them in mind:

  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990418.html

It charts Netscape version usage versus time, and notes
how as more and more people get on the web, the upgrade
rate slows.  (This assumes a mass market web audience,
not a specialized niche one.)

I really like Jakob Nielsen's work.  He's pretty much
*the* usability guru on the 'net, AFAIK.

Me too -- I like JN's stuff a lot too.  (And D. Norman & E. Tufte!)  I just
started reading some of Tog's stuff too.

--Todd