 CAD / Development / 1063
Re: Ldraw.org: Organization and look & feel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:01:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
Apache supports that you just request an URL like
<URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/> and then get different files
depending on your language preferences and what's available.
This system doesn't work with different files, but with
different extensions:

What are the advantages of this system over having each language with their
own subdirectory?  One of the things I would like to avoid is the specific
page index.en.html since the default language for the site would be
English.  I don't feel its necessary to tack on the .en because of that.  I
don't have a problem with the other languages.  Please explain this system
more so that I can understand.  I am not completely against this idea, but
would like the English pages to come out with a cleaner URL that just says
.html.

They do.  When an HTTP client (e.g., Netscape Navigator) requests index.html,
the HTTP server (e.g., Apache) sends back the data contained in index.xx.html,
where xx is a language which matches a language in the list specified by the
client.  This also shows up to CGI scripts in the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE
environment variable, so that any dynamic content on the server can make the
sames kinds of choices.  The client (browser + user) never sees index.xx.html
and is completely oblivious of its existence.

/deutsch/
/espanol/
/fran=E7ais/
/dansk/
/english/

Not a bad idea, except that it means that the translators
have to translate every page before the translation can be
used.

Also, the URLs aren't portable.  If you speak German and you post a question
about the URL  http://www.ldraw.org/deutsch/ein/zwei/drei/  then readers
following along who only speak English or Danish or French will have to know
to visit  http://www.ldraw.org/english/one/two/three/  instead.  Of course,
you could include cross-links to hop from the German page to the English page,
but why bother with all of that when the client & server can negotiate the
language for readers automatically?  That's the beauty of the Apache way.  :)

--Todd