 Publishing / 440
Re: Typefaces: Verdana vs. Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.publish, shutkoa@ugsolutions.com (Alan Shutko) writes:
lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
Anyway, it's not that things like GIFs are really very high bandwidth
or anything

Actually, my biggest complaint these days is their latency.  It takes
so long to download 30 little gifs used to put together a page on a
modem.  And I'd _love_ to have some fast connection, but the only one
available here is a T1.  And those aren't cheap.  (No cable modems, no
DSL... and ISDN is barely worth the obscene cost.)

In theory, a bunch of small GIFs -should- load quickly with a page, right?
As long as both the client & server are using HTTP 1.1 and Keep-Alive?

I know what you mean, though...  What a gunky thing to see a bunch of little
image icons on a page and then see them blink on one by one as they're
fetched.

The funny thing about separate files for images, BTW, is that once they get
to a certain size and repeat usage across multiple pages, it's better to
keep them as separate files and let the client cache them than to embed them
in each page.

But I still yearn for the ability to embed arbitrary simple line graphics in
HTML documents -as- HTML...  :)

--Todd