 Publishing / 441
Re: Typefaces: Verdana vs. Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:32:51 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.publish, rueger@io.com (Tim Rueger) writes:
[...]
I just don't see HTML going away as the lingua franca for web content.
Web usage is exploding with present interfaces (i.e., HTML 3.2 browsers
and 28.8 modems), so they will remain the standard to which websites
should be designed if they are to reach the widest possible audience.
[...]

Say, what do you think about HTML/XML extensions for doing line-art?  (I
mean official extensions, of course -- if they can be standardized upon.
There are so many people competing for this right now, it frightens me.)

A great idea.  I know of one proposed standard, from
Adobe, Netscape, and IBM - PGML (precision graphics
markup language).  The W3 proposal is at:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-PGML-19980410.html

Going back to the "old technology browsers" thing, I'm glad
we've agreed to disagree.  :^)  However, here's an
interesting assertion that current browsers will live until
about 2003, so content should be designed with them in mind:

  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990418.html

It charts Netscape version usage versus time, and notes
how as more and more people get on the web, the upgrade
rate slows.  (This assumes a mass market web audience,
not a specialized niche one.)

I really like Jakob Nielsen's work.  He's pretty much
*the* usability guru on the 'net, AFAIK.

-Tim