 CAD / Development / 1078
Re: Ldraw.org: Organization and look & feel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:41:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, tcourtney@avenew.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
[www.lugnet.com DAT uploading]

Great!  Could we make the upload available from ldraw.org too?

One option is that you could simply point people to:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.cad.dat

This has the benefit that it will automatically recognize them and fill in
their name & e-mail address into the form, so they don't have to type it in
each time they post a file.

Otherwise -- if you're looking for something more direct -- even now, it
will accept uploads from other places off-site.  All you would need to do is
make your own front-end web page and incorporate the following HTML form:

<FORM
METHOD=POST
ACTION="http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/submit.cgi"
ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data">

<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="NAME"  VALUE="[Author's Name]">
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="EMAIL" VALUE="[E-mail Address]">
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="ORG"   VALUE="[Organization]">

<INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="CCSELF" VALUE="1" CHECKED>

<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="newsgroups" VALUE="lugnet.cad.dat">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="followupto" VALUE="lugnet.cad">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="references" VALUE="">

<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="subject" VALUE="[Subject]" SIZE=50 MAXLENGTH=100>

<INPUT TYPE=FILE NAME="body_dat" SIZE=30 MAXLENGTH=256>

<TEXTAREA NAME="body" COLS=74 ROWS=6 MAXLENGTH=65000 WRAP=NONE>
[Additional Comments]
</TEXTAREA>

<INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="acceptterms" VALUE="1">
<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="submit" VALUE="Post DAT File">

</FORM>

If you go this route, you'll need to make sure people have read and
understood the LUGNET Terms of Use <http://www.lugnet.com/terms/> for the
last checkbox (that's what this checkbox confirms), and make sure they
understand that their name & e-mail address need to match the values they
gave at the news-posting setup <http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/>.

I could make the posting script smart enough also to look at the referring
page and add that to the list of options that come up after the post is
accepted -- this would help people find their way back to the page they were
on at www.ldraw.org.  Alternatively, there could be a special hidden field
of the form where you could supply a specific URL if you wanted to direct
them back to a page other than the DAT-upload page.

If you wanted to give separate upload forms for TLG models, MOC's, or
whatever, you could make one HTML page for each group and vary the
'newsgroups' field accordingly:

<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="newsgroups" VALUE="lugnet.cad.dat">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="newsgroups" VALUE="lugnet.cad.dat.foo">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="newsgroups" VALUE="lugnet.cad.dat.glorp">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="newsgroups" VALUE="lugnet.cad.dat.zot">

I'm sure
the set database would include some sort of 'powered by LUGNET' or
something about the Lugnet server being in there... what are your
thoughts, Todd?

I'm drawing a blank; I don't know what you mean.

The URL samples above will probably look more like this in the future:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?nnnn
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?Xnnnn

where nnnn is an article number and X is some optional special symbol
to request the file be served in its native form as raw DAT content
(application/x-ldraw) rather than a web page (text/html).

I assume nnnn will be an official TLG set number so we can easily link to
them, right?

No, the nnnn is an article number.  We're not sure yet what the final URLs
will look like for sets.  Remember that set numbers aren't unique; even if
you paste together the set number and the year it was released, that's not
unique either.

But we'll try to work in the set number somehow, since they're often so
convenient.  URLs for sets will probably take on at least this form:

   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/programme/system/theme/~setnum

where 'setnum' will resolve either to a single set number (98% of the time)
or several set numbers when there are duplicates (i.e., ambiguities).

These simultaneously-alternative will probably also work:

   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/programme/system/~setnum
   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/programme/~setnum
   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/~setnum

Basically this says:  "Pull up the thing labeled 'setnum' starting here in
the hierarchy.  If there's more than one thing labeled 'setnum', let me
choose which one from a list and take me to the more specific URL for that."

It'll probably even work to say:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~setnum

Except that'll pull up all sorts of matches to that number -- sets as well
as parts and members (people).

This syntax is still a bit up in the air.  But whatever it is, it'll be cool
beans for sure (that's a requirement :-).

Internally, the sets-DB will link [initially] directly into news articles in
a more or less transparent way, so that when someone views the page for a
set, one of the links will be to the DAT file (just like the links to
www.kl.net scans) and also links to related discussions/reviews.

--Todd