 CAD / Development / 1061
Re: Ldraw.org: Organization and look & feel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:37:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
Yes (but I still like the idea of just pointing to
<URL:http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:>).

That URL didn't load for me.

Jacob meant a general format

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:nnnn

where nnnn is an article number.

I don't mind storing the files there, but I
would like to have pages that refer to the *files* there in our own look
and feel.

That is in fact exactly what something like

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:100

does.  Note that there are two scripts in the /news/ directory --

   display.cgi -- displays full article text
   ldraw.cgi   -- serves raw DAT content

Now that there is a form-upload, BTW, which makes uploading DAT files much,
much easier, I'll probably have it add a special marker to the articles it
creates so that the DAT content can be extracted from the article 100% exactly
as it was originally uploaded.  (The current ldraw.cgi strips blank lines and
comments from DAT content, which isn't so great, but it was just a temporary
solution.)

The URL samples above will probably look more like this in the future:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?nnnn
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?Xnnnn

where nnnn is an article number and X is some optional special symbol to
request the file be served in its native form as raw DAT content
(application/x-ldraw) rather than a web page (text/html).

--Todd