 CAD / Development / 1060
Re: Ldraw.org: Organization and look & feel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Tim Courtney (tcourtney@avenew.com) wrote:
Also, what are your guidelines for the site being there?
Will we be allowed to have a repository of official LEGO
models in ldraw format?

Yes (but I still like the idea of just pointing to
<URL:http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:>).

I agree.  This area is really going to go hogwild (in a good way) and be muchly
integrated with other DB & commerce aspects of lugnet.com.  The URL(s) will
even be getting simpler/nicer -- becoming  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/  and
sub-categories.  One sub-category in particular is the collection of LDraw
renderings of official TLG models -- these will be browseable in their own
right, but also linked to directly from the sets-DB pages.  It's much better
for the overall integration of data like this (and for people accessing the
data) for it to reside physically close to the other data.  There is already a
small collection of TLG models there now, in fact, but it's disabled to the
outside world until we get the green-light from the author of this resource
(who is currently adding a few other things, including a bunch of MOCs).
Another important thing is for people to be able to acquire parts for any given
MOC, if they really like it and want to build one.  With a couple mouse clicks,
they should be able to add an MOC's parts-list to their want list (and delete
anything they don't really need to complete the model), and then sit back as
the system matches up their want list with sellers' for-sale lists (or assists
them in bidding in parts auctions).

IMO:
Keep ldraw.org focused -- toward producing and distributing the core software
and documentation (FAQ & tutorials).  In fact, from a legal perspective, this
may even be the only truly safe choice, since any amount of bundling code +
data brings LDraw that much closer to posing a threat to TLG, especially now
that Creator is out and about.

--Todd