 CAD / Development / 1066
Re: Ldraw.org: Organization and look & feel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:29:01 GMT

At 08:37 PM 4/9/99 +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
I don't mind storing the files there, but I
would like to have pages that refer to the *files* there in our own look
and feel.

That is in fact exactly what something like

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:100

does.  Note that there are two scripts in the /news/ directory --

  display.cgi -- displays full article text
  ldraw.cgi   -- serves raw DAT content

Good.  I have absolutely no problem with using an existing database
residing on lugnet.com instead of creating one from scratch.  Its a good
way to avoid redundancy, avoid redundancy. :)

Now that there is a form-upload, BTW, which makes uploading DAT files much,
much easier, I'll probably have it add a special marker to the articles it
creates so that the DAT content can be extracted from the article 100% • exactly
as it was originally uploaded.  (The current ldraw.cgi strips blank lines and
comments from DAT content, which isn't so great, but it was just a temporary
solution.)

Great!  Could we make the upload available from ldraw.org too?  I'm sure
the set database would include some sort of 'powered by LUGNET' or
something about the Lugnet server being in there... what are your thoughts,
Todd?

The URL samples above will probably look more like this in the future:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?nnnn
  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?Xnnnn

where nnnn is an article number and X is some optional special symbol to
request the file be served in its native form as raw DAT content
(application/x-ldraw) rather than a web page (text/html).

I assume nnnn will be an official TLG set number so we can easily link to
them, right?

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m