 Publishing / 431
Re: Typefaces: Verdana vs. Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:10:49 GMT

In article <MPG.118168b1ec07032698985f@lugnet.com>, lehman@javanet.com
(Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.publish, rueger@io.com (Tim Rueger) writes:
Isn't HTML supposed to be a description of how a page is rendered,
with the particular web browser deciding on fonts?

Long ago it was supposed to be that way.  But that was when
physicists, mathematicians, and programmers were the only people using
the web.  It's possible (maybe even easy) to go a little too nuts with
typography on the web, but careful attention to backward compatibility
can yield great results all around.  HTML is a tagged language, after
all.

All true.  It's the "careful attention to backward compatibility" that
bugs me.  HTML is supposed to be device independent, so you don't *need*
to worry about these details.

Sure, tags enable new features without breaking older browsers, but you
know most designers don't give a whit about older browsers.  Heck, Intel
is actually encouraging websites "optimized" for Pentium III CPUs.  And
the latest IE (IIRC) lets websites customize the entire browser user
interface on a *per site* basis.  Ick!

Guess I'm an old fogie already, and I'm only 31.  "Yessiree, I can
remember back in '89, when you had to send email explicitly thru
RELAY.CS.NET to get it from coast to coast...".

FWIW, Steve's page looks excellent OMM, but then I'm using Netscape
3.04 on my Mac.  ;^)

Well, everything looks good on a Mac.  :)

*snort* I'll take that as a compliment on behalf of my chosen
platform...

-Tim

--
Tim and/or Shelley Rueger - rueger "at" io.com
WWW page: http://www.io.com/~rueger/