 Publishing / 3614
Re: Brickmania withdraws from Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 04:27:46 GMT

Yes, Kevin owns the webspace, but we own the pictures. I think, this is a
give and take.

The problem is, if people are too frustrated with Brickshelf and turn their
back on it, the community looses it's center and splits into fragments
scattered all over the net. This is what I don't want, and hopefully it
isn't what Kevin wants, too.

I like to think of BS as an artist's gallery.  Kevin, as the curator of the
gallery, displays things for all to see.  Why?  His motives are his own, but
to wager a guess I'd say because he's  a Lego Fanatic.  Just like the rest
of us, and he has the desire and the drive to do such a thing.  Unlike the
rest of us.  (or at least myself...)
But you're right.  It is give and take.  With no support, there's no
gallery.  With no gallery, artists are simply scattered.  I feel it is very
much a symbiotic relationship.  But also, as this villiage of artists grows
there will be disputes, and someone has to decide them.  Kevin, lord of his
gallery, gets to make those calls.  He can listen to the artists, and as an
intelligent man I'm sure he is, but the weight of the decision falls on his
shoulders, and so he makes rules.  (again, we all need to know what said
rules are and I believe they are coming...)
So what happens if we decide not to abide by the rules.  We revolt and
become the Gorilla artist, avante guard, go start a new colony, whatever.
Don't worry, it's not a bad thing.  Just as one gallery cannot hope to cover
all the aspects of art, maybe one brickshelf will not be enough.  It means
that we are growing and that BS simply can't cover all facets of Lego.

There was a time when possession obliged. My hope was, that the internet
brought this spirit back to life.

..oli

You're kidding right?  When exactly was that?  Do not fool yourself, those
that were "obliged" were doing as they were told.  Romanticize all you wish
but the past was just as cut-throat, nasty, dirty, double dealing,
politicing as today.  If not worse.  How do you think those with possessions
got them?  We need not the past, but our own future.

Mark