 Publishing / 3639
Re: Brickmania withdraws from Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 03:47:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.publish, Dean Husby writes:
In lugnet.publish, Daniel Siskind writes:
Due to the recent events on Brickshelf, I have decided to permanently
withdraw my Brickshelf gallery postings and I will be removing the links
from my web site.

I agree with you Dan.

This moderation was jumped into before ANYTHING was ready. The software, the
people and the rules... It was VERY badly done.

However anyone might feel,

From Brickshelf's Terms of Service:

http://www.brickshelf.com/terms.html

"13. MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE
Brickshelf reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or
discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof)
with or without notice. You agree that Brickshelf shall not be liable to you
or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of
the Service. "

And if one has an account on Brickshelf such as
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TFM then that person has
agreed to abide by the Terms of Service until the account is closed.

IF this was handled properly they would have put "Report this graphic for
inappropriate content." buttons

That way EVERYONE is a moderator. Bad images could be removed by their first
appearance.

That could certainly be an option IF Brickshelf was owned and operated by a
community. But it's not. It's just open to a community by Kevin's good will
gesture, perhaps for the time being.

But no, we have to have all this total control junk with
religious/political/personal beliefs judging our content.

It's Kevin's website, a fact which we all agree upon, which means none of us
owe him anything and he doesn't owe any one of us anything. And while I
might disagree with Dan Siskind's sentiments, which are neither here nor
there as far as the rest of us are truly concerned, I think Dan did the best
thing he could do about it - he voted with his computer: he exercised his
freedom to pick up his Lego pictures and go elsewhere. And I hope he finds a
place cuz I like looking at stuff.

For those of you that have to use brickshelf because you don't have any
other web space...

<snip>

This seems to reek of entitlement, and the snipped suggestion seems to
indicate behavior subversive to the Terms.

Funny that, for the USA people, brickshelf fell around the time of your
Freedom day...

Speaking of freedom, you or anyone else is certainly free to go make your
own version of hosting Lego pix for free. And I would applaud you for the
effort.

There is neither yelling for my part toward anybody, nor hard feelings, just
a simple restatement of the Terms as all applicable folks have already
agreed to them.

"Go. Or stay! But do it because it is what you wish to do." -Khan Noonian Singh

-Tom McD.
when replying, see that old sci-fi movie classic, "The Day the Spamcake
Stood Still"