 Publishing / 3577
Re: Brickmania withdraws from Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.publish, Frank Filz writes:
Daniel Siskind wrote:
<snip>

I'm not sure I'm ready to take as drastic a step as Dan, but I have to
say his words resonate with me.

PLEASE document the guidelines for acceptable pictures.

I agree. This would be extremely helpful to me. I think Dan is referring to
me when he said "all folders immediately approved except for Jihad" because
I have been semi systematically trying to approve folders of people I know
already (or that send me notes) and I did in fact visit Dan's tree approve
all of Dan's not already approved folders except that one. Not because I
personally think there is anything wrong with it, but because I did not at
that time and still do not know what the guidelines are. So I have been
"passing over" (NOT deleting, NOT disapproving) stuff I was unsure about. I
figure Kevin can make the call on that. Maybe wrongly.

My disagreement isn't necessarily directed towards Larry (and I should thank
him for making most of my files public at a very early stage), but he
illustrates a good point in what is wrong with this current situation.  If I
hold anyone accountable for this whole mess, I would say that Kevin fumbled
from the get go when he announced his decision without thorough explanation.
The only way I know Kevin is from his commendable service to the community,
which up until now I never thought to question.  I have read a lot of
announced, but so far no one has pointed out how rotten it really is.

I have not DELETED anything except empty folders (that looked like they were
orphans, and not very many of those, none recently) and I have not
disapproved anything yet. Merely left it as unmoderated and moved on to the
next thing.

By not showing the content, it may as well not exist.  If there was a
problem with TOS violations, then why was it not removed a long time ago?
Again, not a problem with Larry, but with how this is being handled.

Flame me if you want but I daresay a lot of stuff is visible now that would
not be if it weren't for moderating by me and others who are working at
least partly in the dark.

Exactly. WHAT ARE THE GUIDLINES?!!!  Is this really necessary to get the
porn off of Brickshelf, or an excuse to purge the site of what a comittee
deems inapropriate for any reason what-so-ever?  If no one has the guts to
approve stuff the "might" be controversial for any reason, then it's the
same net effect of cutting of Bricklink's users from our own comminity. Yes,
Kevin may own the site, but it's the comunity that makes it work and the
community that is now suffering.  Some may believe that I am over reacting,
but so far the underreaction has been deafening.

Dan