 Publishing / 3588
Re: Brickmania withdraws from Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 05:26:48 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Daniel Siskind writes:
My disagreement isn't necessarily directed towards Larry (and I should thank
him for making most of my files public at a very early stage), but he
illustrates a good point in what is wrong with this current situation.  If I
hold anyone accountable for this whole mess, I would say that Kevin fumbled
from the get go when he announced his decision without thorough explanation.

I admit, circumstances caused the moderation system to be implemented
in a sudden and clumsy manner.  Life works that way sometimes.
The alternative was to leave the gallery offline for a few months
while proper software development and marketing efforts were
persued.  I took option 'A'.

The only way I know Kevin is from his commendable service to the community,
which up until now I never thought to question.  I have read a lot of
announced, but so far no one has pointed out how rotten it really is.

It is dissapointing to not see uploaded files immediately show up in the
recent views.  Indeed, that was one of the most wonderful things about
the gallery experience.  I'm sad to see that go to.

... or an excuse to purge the site of what a comittee
deems inapropriate for any reason what-so-ever?

There is no comittee.  I am the only official Admin/moderator.
Because of the huge task of reviewing 15,000 folders, I enlisted
the help of a very small group of close, trusted associates
to help me clear the backlog.  I take full responsibility for their
moderating decisions, which ultimately lie with me.  The moderating
guidelines for Brickshelf are extremely simple (explained in other
messages) and *have not changed*.  Some off-topic content is now being
deleted because we now have an efficient way to delete it, and again
if it re-appears.  In the past, safe but off-topic content was simply
tagged with the off-topic keyword and left on the system.  Deleting it
might have caused an escallation of inappropriateness which we had
no good way to handle.  Now that we do, we can clear off the off-topic junk
that has been wasting space and bandwidth.

It is also possible that on-topic content could be deleted because
it looks like off-topic, or the on-topicalness is not apparent
to the moderator.  If that happens, you might try using a descriptive
folder description to clue in the moderator.

KL