Re: Building priorities (was Re: U.S.S. Grand Rapids for the GATS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:05:08 GMT

With a "only MOCs" policy, with where I am right now, I might have even blown
off the event (work has been a real drag, I spent about 9 hours Saturday, and
will go back in for more Sunday).

I don't think we'd have a real problem with a policy like this.  If you look
at out January display, we filled--what was it, 18x24?--a layout and had
very few stock buildings.  Lots of stock cars and train parts, but really
not that many stock buildings.

But I'm not against commercial sets of any sort and don't think we need a
firm policy against them--I think we just need to agree that, in the future
when assigning space to individuals, members' MOCs take precedence over
anything else--GoB sets, other MOCs from outsiders, and TLC sets.

Frank, I hear your point on the GMLTC display in that I know people asked us
in January "So can I buy all this stuff from Lego?" and they were sometimes
disappointed when they heard no.  On the other hand, with the current state
of Town sets, we don't really have other options.  Displaying historical TLC
sets is only one step closer to displaying only MOCs--it's still out of
reach of many.  Chris' Exxon station last time--sure, you can find one of
those on eBay sometimes but they're pricey!  And that's true of many of the
TLC sets worth building into a display.  If Lego were to come out with a
really good town line, then things would be different and I'd think building
those sets in, as an entrypoint for new hobbyists, would be great...

Peter