Re: plywood
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:30:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
I would like to see a plywood system that we can assemble before hand so we
can transport it into the show and have it ready to go.

I'm not so sure it's a real time-saver. It doesn't take a lot of time to
cover a table with baseplates, so having them mounted to plywood doesn't
help much. And I think much of our display involves buildings that are
too large to be transported already set up.

I agree. Just having baseplates affixed to plywood modular tables doesn't
save much time at all.

However (and let me be clear that I'm not advocating that we switch to the
GMLTC modular system, not by any means at all) that's not what GMLTC does.
They have everything pretty much already in place on their modules, which
are built up of many layers of bricks. Only large buildings and rolling
stock are separate. Hence their layout comes together more quickly.

But with that you get a lot more work in building the modules, a lot more
money invested, and a lot less flexibility. Most clubs don't choose to go
that way and can still make very impressive layouts. I don't think we should
contemplate switching until we have a lot more experience...

++Lar