Re: Building priorities (was Re: U.S.S. Grand Rapids for the GATS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 02:53:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
Larry & All,

I understand and accept that viewpoint but I guess my goal is a little
different in that I want to have the best display possible, one that wows
the crowd, not necessarily one that includes only work of members, or one
that is geared to be as inclusive as possible and sacrifices coherency or
cleanliness of form.

Well, Larry, I am all for impressing the crowds, but this sounds like you
would rather see a bunch of sets from people who aren't part of the group,
whether they are Guilds of Bricksmiths or what, and I think that concept is
wrong.

You're correct. That concept is wrong, because it's not what I am saying.

My goal for the very small portion of the total I was given is to make the
best structural display I am capable of making. That's it. The entire rest
of the layout can be inclusive, but mine will be coherent, and will be
designed for maximum crowd appeal. Why? *BECAUSE* that's the part of the
hobby I enjoy, displaying things that make people go "wow".
If that is how you want to do it that's fine.That school would look good by
my houses.
*I* am not hung up on where exactly they came from, I just want to use stuff
that looks good and works together well. Sounds like you have some hangups
about that though.

If that (using the best available) is unacceptable, hold a vote of the group
and take it away from me now so I can allocate my time differently, or hold
a vote of the group and tell me that everything in my tiny slice has to be
designed by me so I can get busy building some mediocre stuff that fits the
requirement of having been done by me even if it doesn't look as good.
Umm are you saying you only build mediore buildings or just mediocre
compared to someone like Kevin W. ?(of course most of us IMO build mediocre
compared to Kevin) If that's your thinking then place whatever you want in
that space i don't see a big problem with it.We just want to make sure most
mocs are from us michiganders :-)
On the same topic, are we then going to disallow or downplay TLC trains and
vehicles? The January layout had too many pieces of rolling stock on it for
maximum operability. I would suggest cutting the amount on the layout at any
given time. (Cars and trucks on the other hand, we had a lot of but can
always use more... until you get an actual traffic jam somewhere you don't
have "enough")
No problem with rotating rolling stock.Of course the more cars/trucks the
better.