 Off-Topic / Geek / 4228
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 03:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown writes:

No, because you only tried to remove r2.  We are only removing *a* red ball
from the bag; because there are 2 red balls, and only 1 is ever in our hand,
there is always a red ball in the bag to remove.   It is irrelevant whether
that ball is r1 or r2.

Redoing it with numbers:

hand   bag
r1     r2 w
r2     r1 w
w      r1 r2

Now removing a red ball from the bag we get:

hand   bag
r1      w  (r2 is the only red ball, it is removed)
r2      w  (r2 is the only red ball, it is removed)

Bleargh!  typo.
r2      w (r1 is the only red ball, it is removed)

w      r1 OR r2 (either may be removed, as both are in the bag)

James

Saw that ;) but understood...

but if we're talking one instance--one event--and that's what we're, indeed,
talking about--you are on a game show, one event--you have one chance of
winning one car behind one door....

so you have 3 doors

I won't bother to number them...

you choose one of those doors--you have a 1 in 3 chance of picking the right
one.

Ok, here's where I'll take it from.  The car is behind one of the doors, so
the probabilities must add up to 1.  3 doors, 1/3 of a chance for each door.

You pick door 1.  There is a 1 in 3 chance the car is behind that door.
There is a 2 in 3 chance that the car is behind one of the other doors.
Follow me?

Now, here's the thing - ** those probabilities DO NOT CHANGE. **  The odds
of your door being correct are still (and always) 1 in 3.

If at this point you were offered "you can stick with what you've got, or
you can have the other two doors?" what you would take?  The other two doors
- that's a 2/3 probability of having your car.

Revealing one of those two doors as a goat changes nothing - We already know
that one of those two doors has a goat behind it!  Revealing what's actually
behind doors at this point is an academic excercise; the probabilities have
already been determined.

James
(gah.  I can't believe I'm still arguing this.)