 Off-Topic / Geek / 4171
4170  |  4172
Subject:
math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:54:01 GMT

k, here's something that came across my desk...

you have a bag with 4 marbles in it.

2 of the marbles are red
1 marble is white
1 marble is blue

you reach in and grab 2 random marbles

you open up your hand a bit to only see the colour of one of those 2
marbles, and it happens to be red

what is the chance that the other marble in your hand is also red?

I say it's 33 percent
my friend says it's 20 percent

I worked it out like this:

4 marbles:

r r b w

you grab 2, one is red so you immediately know that one of the red's doesn't
have to be counted.

so you're left with

r b w

that may be in your hand

so one in 3 = 33 percent

My friend calculated it this way

r(1) r(2) b w

the 'event' is that you have 2 balls in your hand, one of which is red

so out of all the possible unique combinations (6)--

r(1) r(2)
r(1) b
r(1) w
r(2) b
r(2) w
b w

the last one (b w) is eliminated 'cause you already know that there is a red
in your hand, so the last one isn't part of 'the event'

so the possibility of the second marble being red is 1 in 5, or 20 percent.

but what my friend won't admit to, is that if you have

r(1) r(2)
r(1) b
r(1) w
r(2) b
r(2) w

(b w being still eliminated due to red already being in your hand) that a
last possible combination:

r(2) r(1)

fits into the mix, so 2 out of 6, which still equals 33 percent

Any stats people out there that could shed logic on this?

Thanks

Dave K