 Off-Topic / Geek / 4180
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:29:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:54:01PM +0000, David Koudys wrote:
r(1) r(2)
r(1) b
r(1) w
r(2) b
r(2) w

(b w being still eliminated due to red already being in your hand) that a
last possible combination:

r(2) r(1)

fits into the mix, so 2 out of 6, which still equals 33 percent

Any stats people out there that could shed logic on this?

I'm not a stats person, but I agree with your friend.  r(2) r(1) is the
same as r(1) r(2), because order doesn't matter.  If it does, then you
end up with more combos (w r(2), etc)...

--

that's what I was going to say.  But, I decided to run a small
simulation:

$ perl -le '
$rr = 0;
$count = 0;
for (1..10000) {
$count ++;
@bag = qw/r r w b/;
$hand = "";
for (1..2) {
   $pos = int(rand($#bag));
   $hand .= $bag[$pos];
   splice @bag, $pos, 1;
}
$rr++ if $hand eq "rr"
}
print "$rr/$count = ", $rr/$count;
'
3391/10000 = 0.3391

so, once again, I learn I don't quite understand statistics as I think
I do.  :)

Wow!  You wrote a program!  Thanks Dan!

Again I'm impressed with the knowledge and skills of those that partake in
LUGNET!

Adding to my case,

Dave K