 Off-Topic / Geek / 4214
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:40:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Whew.  You are way off in your probablity and statistics analysis: if you
want to double everything, then you would have to list 112 and 113 twice
also.  They are *not* the same selection.

See this one for a clearer picture:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/geek/?n=4210

I don't believe that to be a correct analysis so it clears up nothing,
though I admit it has been a long time since I have taken my probablity and
statistics class.

No, because he won't use the same algorithm since he then becomes
predictable, so he will vary the door revealed (and also the whole question
is nonsense since it would be a choice of a "zonk" (goat, cow, etc.) and a
lesser prize, and a greater prize (or even two equivalent prizes) since
Let's Make a Deal didn't use double-zonks like that)..

That's not the problem presented, though.

Gosh, everyone is seizing on this: I didn't say it was and it has nothing to
do with my answers!!!  :-)

According to the problem, it's
KNOWN that he ALWAYS reveals a zonk prize door that you didn't pick.

Sigh.  Yes, I know that.

No
chance whatsoever that he'll act any differently. Given.

Yes, I know that.

The host *does* use
an algorithm.

Which is?

Maybe not in the real-life-show, but this is an excersize in
theoretical probability, not an imitation of real life. The given's are
given, not subject to whimsy.

I tried the simulator: it supported my conclusions.  Really!

Which simulator? Which conclusion?

50/50.   First one I found on the site Larry noted.  If there are mutiple
ones, I didn't notice.

-->Bruce<--