 Off-Topic / Geek / 4199
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys writes:

I still like the 50 percent possibility tho.

Liking it or not is irrelevant. The probabilities are what they are.

And the answer is still 2/3 if you switch, given the premises. No matter
whether you like it or not.

Go to the site I gave you and read what is written there.

Actually, it supports the 50/50.  Host will always offers regardless of
whether you chose correctly or not (basic premise - choose the "host does
not know"): simulator runs 50/50.  If it's a screw you scenario, then yes,
you switch, but I remember it being more like 50/50 on whether you got a
prize upgrade/downgrade (there wouldn't actually be two "zonks") which would
not support that scenario.  I'll have to check with my game show expert
(Alphonso Smith - if Chris Weeks is going to the Gathering, he'll see him
there).

-->Bruce<--