 Off-Topic / Geek / 4211
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
<mucho snippage>

Regardless, because we *know* that the host *always* obeys certain rules (IE
he'll always reveal a goat-door that you didn't pick), we can equivalently
say that he always picks the lowest-numbered doors to reveal in case of a
tie, since he's ALREADY using an algorithm.

No, because he won't use the same algorithm since he then becomes
predictable, so he will vary the door revealed (and also the whole question
is nonsense since it would be a choice of a "zonk" (goat, cow, etc.) and a
lesser prize, and a greater prize (or even two equivalent prizes) since
Let's Make a Deal didn't use double-zonks like that)..

Bruce - I see the confusion.  You aren't solving the problem as presented:

"Now, here's a trickier one:

Ever watched the old game show "Let's Make a Deal"? Sometimes, they'd offer
people things similar to this scenario. You're a game show contestant. Bob
the host shows you 3 doors. You win whatever's behind the door you pick.
Behind 2 of the doors are goats. Behind the other door, there's a brand new
sports car.

You pick door X. Now, before Bob shows you what's behind door X, he opens up
door Y, and shows you... a goat! Bob now says you have a chance to change
your mind, and instead of picking door X, you can switch to door Z.

What's the probability that the sports car is behind door Z versus door X?"

As presented, the host "Bob" always opens a zonk prize that isn't the door
you picked.

Thank you for repeating the message I already read and applied to the
situation.  I did illuminate that it is not a valid Let's Make a Deal
scenario, but it's still the one I'm talking about.

-->Bruce<--