 Off-Topic / Geek / 4216
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:15:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I tried the simulator: it supported my conclusions.  Really!

Which simulator? Which conclusion?

50/50.   First one I found on the site Larry noted.  If there are mutiple
ones, I didn't notice.

This one here?

  http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/monty3/index.html

How many trials?  It is a *probability* after all, no guarantees about a
short run of trials.  I ran 30 "stay" and 30 "switch" and got roughly 40 and
60 as the two percentage results.

Moving to the serious number cruncher, which does as many repeats as you
specify (up to 100,000):

  http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/monty/index.html

...I ran 100,000 through the loop several times, and consistently got
approx. 1/3 or 2/3 result.

For a good explanation of how it works, look at this site (linked from
Larry's link):

  http://www.io.com/%7Ekmellis/monty.html

James