 Off-Topic / Geek / 4181
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:34:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:

<snip>

I think he's wrong because he's trying to reason about partial knowledge,
and that always causes problems. Look at it as a draw without replacement
instead. The order you reveal things doesn't influence outcomes, they were
what they were.

you drew two marbles, you looked at one. But when you drew the second marble
it was a draw without replacement from the bag. You could have drawn,
looked, drawn or drawn, drawn, looked and it's (in this case) logically
equivalent.

Think of it this way... you drew a marble. there are three left in the bag
to draw. If the first marble is red, the three left to draw are one of each.
So the chance that the second marble is red is 1 in 3. It doesn't in this
case change what marbles were in the bag because you waited to look at the
first one. IMHO. (1)

1 - But then I failed statistics the first time I took it. (2)

2 - However that was also the semester I got engaged, I never actually went
to class, did homework or took any tests except the final.

Thanks Larry,

I'll add it to the rationale.

I failed gr. 12 advanced math once--was too busy being the editor of the
yearbook that particular year (and playing cards in the cafeteria) It was
amazing that I still took gr. 13 physics, chemistry and biology later, and
then I retook gr. 12 math (got 55 percent as my final mark)

Dave K