 Off-Topic / Geek / 4175
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:41:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Adrian Drake writes:

I say it's 33 percent
my friend says it's 20 percent

you're right, in both senses.  Your logic for the first solution is valid,
and your identification of his error in the second solution (which would
lead to the same answer) is also correct.  It is, indeed, 33%

  My knowledge of stats gives me less than 1 in one zillion chance of
answering any random stats question correctly, but I likewise agree:

The essential question is "If you reach into a bag with a red, a white, and
a blue marble, then what are the odds that you draw a red marble?"

One in three.

Here's another permutation:

If you and I each have a bag with a red, a white, and a blue marble, and
each of us draws a marble from his bag randomly, what are the odds that
they'll be the same color?

     Dave!