 Off-Topic / Geek / 4174
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:34:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys writes:
k, here's something that came across my desk...

you have a bag with 4 marbles in it.

2 of the marbles are red
1 marble is white
1 marble is blue

you reach in and grab 2 random marbles

you open up your hand a bit to only see the colour of one of those 2
marbles, and it happens to be red

what is the chance that the other marble in your hand is also red?

I say it's 33 percent
my friend says it's 20 percent

<long snip>

you're right, in both senses.  Your logic for the first solution is valid,
and your identification of his error in the second solution (which would
lead to the same answer) is also correct.  It is, indeed, 33%

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

Thanks for the support.

Here's his rationale, hopefully explained more fully (but I still think it's
not quite kosher...)

The time of the event--you grabbed 2 marbles

there are 6 possible combinations in your hand

r(1) r(2)
r(1) b
r(1) w
r(2) b
r(2) w
b w

those are the 6 unique possibilities in your hand at the time of the event

One of those possibilities becomes invalidated because as soon as we see one
of the marbles, we know it's red so the b w is gone...

thus leaving only 5 possibilities, and what we want is the chance that both
marbles are red, from the event--

1 in 5, = 20 percent.

I understand it, but it still isn't sitting right with me.

Dave K