 Off-Topic / Geek / 4189
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:42:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
Now, here's a trickier one:

Ever watched the old game show "Let's Make a Deal"? Sometimes, they'd offer
people things similar to this scenario. You're a game show contestant. Bob
the host shows you 3 doors. You win whatever's behind the door you pick.
Behind 2 of the doors are goats. Behind the other door, there's a brand new
sports car.

You pick door X. Now, before Bob shows you what's behind door X, he opens up
door Y, and shows you... a goat! Bob now says you have a chance to change
your mind, and instead of picking door X, you can switch to door Z.

What's the probability that the sports car is behind door Z versus door X?

DaveE

I'd say 1 in 2, or 50 percent, but maybe I'm missing something.

Good question though.

Actually, there's a 2/3 chance that it's behind door Z! A very sneaky
problem, in fact. It was shown to us in high school as the subject of a very
minor controversy. After being published as "2/3 chance" in a math
publication, some college math professor (and his class) wrote in and said
that it was in fact 1/2; which in turn inspired the magazine to further
explain the answer :)

The logic:
In the initial pick, there's a 1/3 chance it's behind the door you picked;
door X. And a 1/3 chance behind door Y, and another 1/3 for behind door Z.
But, there's a *2/3* chance that it's behind EITHER Y or Z. And by showing
you that it's *not* behind door Y, you know that if it *was* behind Y or Z
(2/3 chance), that it's behind door Z. Hence, given that it's not behind
door Y, the chance that it's behind door Z is 2/3.

Think about it this way:
If there were 1,000,000 doors instead of 3, and you picked door #1. Now,
suddenly, the host opens 999,998 of the remainging doors and shows you
they're all full of goats, EXCEPT for door #821,744 (which he doesn't show
you). Given the odds of you happening to choose the magic door on your first
guess, I think it's fair to say you'd change doors pretty quick! (Unless
maybe you prefer goats!)

DaveE