 Off-Topic / Geek / 4201
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys writes:

I still like the 50 percent possibility tho.

Liking it or not is irrelevant. The probabilities are what they are.

And the answer is still 2/3 if you switch, given the premises. No matter
whether you like it or not.

Go to the site I gave you and read what is written there.

Got it...

Goes into a fairly comprehensible walk-thru, but the point that makes it
obvious (as stated) is:

"
Imagine that there were a million doors. Also, after you have chosen your
door; Monty opens all but one of the remaining doors, showing you that they
are "losers." It's obvious that your first choice is wildly unlikely to have
been right. And isn't it obvious that of the other 999,999 doors that you
didn't choose; the one that he didn't open is wildly likely to be the one
with the prize?
"

I like it.

I renounce my 50/50