 Off-Topic / Geek / 4215
Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:11:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Whew.  You are way off in your probablity and statistics analysis: if you
want to double everything, then you would have to list 112 and 113 twice
also.  They are *not* the same selection.

See this one for a clearer picture:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/geek/?n=4210

I drew it out as pictures rather than as a word problem (trust an artist to
think that way, though I'll note I passed Calculus).  I come up with 2/3 if
you switch.  A 1/3 chance that you have the right choice initially.  The
other two doors are an aggragate 2/3 chance.  Even though one is eliminated,
it is a wrong one, so the aggragate whole of it being right is still 2/3.
If you switch to that {set of doors} you have a greater probablity of
choosing the {set} with the right door.  Eliminating the wrong one is really
something of an illusion.

Yes, I figured I was wrong all along, but I had to figure out for myself
*why* I was wrong.  Seeing them as sets was the key for me.

-->Bruce<--

Tilting at windmills is such fun!