 Off-Topic / Geek / 3018
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:52:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.general, Johannes Keukelaar writes:

<pet-peeve>
Please leave the size of my browser window alone! I'll determine how
large I want the window to be. That is a very _rude_ bit of
javascript.
</pet-peeve>

When I ran across this JavaScript, I thought "Hey! Now THAT'S useful!". So I
used it. And so far, I'm happy with the results *as a designer*. Now, as
users, what do others think? Well, that's why I wrote this little rant. What
do YOU think?

(OK, you asked!)

Ah, but as someone creating web pages, you aren't JUST a designer, you are a
usability/interaction _creator_. The web is not a tangible medium as print
is. Yes, you are right, in print, the designer chooses the sizing of the
presentation, but _only_ because picking a single size is a requirement. In
print, there is only one way any one on earth can look at something. They
have no _ability_ to change anything. On a computer, however, the users is
capable of changing just about everything in some way to better fit their
needs and preferences.

Requiring users of a web site to conform to a designers personal design
choices is not only silly, it strikes a blow against the very things that
make the Web different (not better, not worse, just different) than print or
any other medium. Initally setting the site the way the designer would
_prefer_ it to look is fine...so long as you don't lock the user into that
choice.

One of the main reasons so many .com businesses are failing is because they
structured themselves and their products based on old media concepts.
Banners ads, for instance, are a hold over from newspaper advertising....and
we see how well those work...

We have to take a completely fresh, and completely user focused approach to
doing web development in order to create truly great sites. Of course, we
can't completely drop decades of learning about advertising, sales, buying
habits, merchandising, etc. But we do have to create content based on what
is good for the user, not the designer. Without the user (read: consumer),
we have nothing.

<DENNIS MILLER VOICE>
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
</DENNIS MILLER VOICE>