 Off-Topic / Geek / 3022
Re: Web: Design vs. Use (was Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:46:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Gerber writes:
In this case (again, don't pin the entire thread on this
point) I had fonts that I REALLY wanted to share with everyone on LUGNET.

And they ARE spiffy and thanks for sharing, let us not let that point get
lost in the firestorm you are about to reap...

created a page, and made it the way I wanted others to see it. My perogative
to do so.

Yes, indeed, your perogative. And when you have something valuable to give
away, you have a bit more leeway than when you want people to come to your
site and spend their money. But still, you are nevertheless violating good
design principles. The net is not about designers doing as they wish, it is
about users getting useful things done.

The users aren't overly affected by my change

Any effect at all is unacceptable.

(Heck, I could have
done that shaking window thing, or made their cursor balloon up...I didn't),

This is like a robber using "well, I wasn't a rapist, after all" as a
defense. True, but not particularly effective.

they just see MY CONTENT the way I INTENDED it to be viewed. Is that such a
bad thing? Opinions will vary.

Indeed they do. You can do as you like but you need to realise that you are
in violation of good and accepted design practice when you decide that you
know better than the user does.

Oh well...no skin off my nose.

Some skin, yes. Your reputation as a good designer, and your repeat traffic,
at least mildly depend on how friendly your site is.

Your site is a little unfriendly since you didn't pop the old sizes and
restore them when I leave. The next site I visit is at the wrong size too or
else I have to make the effort of resizing the window. What if I am a
keyboard user who cannot use the mouse easily because of physical disability?

I can think of more to say, but I'll save it for later on and spread it out...

Bring it on, baby. This is at least in part what I do for a living so it's
intensely interesting to me.

What I think is a bit ironic is a fan taking an anti customer centric view
after all, most fans fault TLC for not being customer centric enough. :-)