 General / 30356
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:17:32 GMT

(Answered in .general, as I don't read .off-topic)

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> skrev i meddelandet
In lugnet.general, Johannes Keukelaar writes:

<pet-peeve>
Please leave the size of my browser window alone! I'll determine how
large I want the window to be. That is a very _rude_ bit of
javascript.
</pet-peeve>

Now that's an interesting point. Do you often complain to book, magazine or
newspaper publishers about the physical size of their offerings?

It's a bit different, as the book, mag. etc. is published on paper, with a
non-changeable font - browsers OTOH can give the user quite a lot of control
over the font sizes, colors etc.

My myopic eyes for example, very much dislike small fonts, so I often have to
set the browser to use a larger size. There are also many color combinations
that are _very_ difficult to read, which make me turn the background off etc.
etc.

Now, if your Javascript sets the browser window size _absolute_, not related
to the _used_ font size, that's bad - if it follows the font size it might be
OK, it depends on how large my screen is (and most pages do not test for
that...).

I created my site the way I wanted it to be.

And that's quite OK - that should be a main concern, but the next step should
be to think 'how will others see it', as one of the main reasons for a web
site is to show it to others, otherwise it could have stayed on the hard disk.

I'm constantly resizing the darn window, ya' know?

I usually view full-screen, and don't want to resize at all.

Just _my_ 2 öre (very insignificant amount of $)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm